Welcome to Akeld self-catering holiday rental cottage, for up to 6 people,
near the village of Akeld, by the Cheviot Hills in beautiful countryside
near Wooler in Northumberland National Park
Sleeps up to 6 people, with three bedrooms. One with a double bed, one with twin’s beds and the smaller room has bunk beds.
There are French doors leading from the sitting room into a large enclosed garden with a patio and garden furniture and stunning views of the Cheviot hills which you can walk directly to from the cottage. A barbeque is also provided, for those sunny evenings. There is a colour TV with digital free view, a video recorder and DVD player.
- The cottage has central heating and there are plenty of heaters if needed.
- The kitchen has an electric cooker, microwave oven and a washing machine.
- All beds come with duvets and all bedding and towels are provided at no extra cost Please bring your own beach towels.
- There is parking at the back of the cottage for two cars.
- The key is situated in a box at the back of the cottage, the code will be given to you a couple of days before arrival.
- A welcome pack is provided comprising milk, tea, coffee, sugar, bread and butter. There are some very good shops in Wooler, about three miles away. including two excellent butchers and a local cooperative and a very good GOOD LIFE SHOP for special delicacies
The Village of Akeld
Akeld village is situated on the northern limit of the Northumberland
National Park at the foot of the Cheviot Hills. Akeld falls within the
district commonly known as Glendale. It is approximately 10 miles from
the Scottish Border and a short distance to the west of the market town
The cottage is situated in a lovely square just off the A697 with fantastic views.
Local Restaurants, Hotels, Pubs
A short walk from the cottage is the family run, licensed; Harveys Restaurant
which prides itself on locally sourced home-cooked food - so no need to
The local vicinity has no shortage of good old-fashioned English pubs that have managed to avoid the “advantages” of modernisation. The Black Bull at Etal with its thatched roof and very pretty village and the Red Lion at Milfield with excellent food using local produce.
There is also a very good restraunt / bistro in Wooler called Milan’s just 2 miles away and the famous Tillmouth Park is just approx 6 miles away.
The Cheviot Hills are on your doorstep. Directly from the cottage you can walk straight up Yeavering Bell, famous for its wild goat herd. Those wanting less challenging walking can stroll down the river and enjoy the views. For organised walks visit www.shepherdswalks.co.uk. There are also organised walks from Wooler and the surrounding area. Details of these can be found at the local tourist information three miles away at Wooler and there is info in the cottage.
Within the immediate vicinity there is Ford and Etal Estates. The world famous Alnwick Garden and Treehouse and Alnwick Castle, not to mention the many other castles and country houses open to the public, many of which are only a short drive away. There is a lot more info in the cottage.
There are several golf courses in the area. Good fishing on the River Till can be arranged locally and, of course, for those wishing to ride, The BHS approved Kimmerston Riding Centre caters for horse riders of all ages and abilities and is owned and run by us - it is approximately three miles from the cottage. At the Borders Gliding Club you can soar like a bird over the wild Northumbrian countryside.
- Please note, Akeld Cottage bookings run from FRIDAY 3.00pm to Friday 10.00am.
- Terms: a 50% deposit is payable on booking. The balance is due two weeks before arrival.
- The deposit is non refundable but if you have a problem we will transfer your deposit to another date
- Cheques payable to Mr Jeffreys.
- Please note we do not take credit cards.
- Short breaks are available at the competitive rate of £90 per night out of season and £100 a night in high season as a do it yourself B&B all breakfast ingredientss provided This is very comepitive for 3 people or over and allows you to come and go as you wish even breakfast in the garden.
- Short breaks are not available during school holidays.
- Comments from last years visitors to Akeld Cottage - UPDATED
Kimmerston Riding Centre